Thursday, January 31, 2008

More neat words (or not so neat ones)

Okay, so another blog -- 2 in one day. Now that is a record, or a verry slow news day. My motivation to work is lacking. On to the subject at hand: Words. Two more words I like because they sound like what they mean or express are -- Yikes and Yippee. I did not post these originally because I did not think they were words, and after my last blog to post them would have been hypocritical (BTW, being hypocritical is another pet peeve). However, low and behold, my seeester (oh my I am using "seeester," which is not a word, so I now fall into the categories of two of my pet peeves) says they are words. So I posted them. My seeester hates the word "cutlet." It is a rather ugly word. I hate the word "pee." Whoever put that into the English language should be shot. A friend of mine hates the word "sanction" because you never know whether its a good thing or not. E.G., the man was sanctioned for his bad behavior; or the man's good actions were sanctioned by the crowd. Go figure. The English language is a conundrum. Now that is another good word. Another thing that fascinates me are sayings. For example, "Go to hell in a hand basket" --where did that come from? (no one seems to know, I have researched this -- and isn't that pathetic). Or how about "Beyond the Pale"? Now that is an interesting one. In the past, "Pale" referred to Dublin and those that lived outside Dublin were considered lowlifes or uncouth so to say you are acting "beyond the pale" means you are acting beyond the boundaries of good society. (I researched that one too). Well, I am sure you've had enough of my word-smithing. Let's see, I've edited this blog four times. That's obsessive and I'm not billing hours. Must go, must go.

Now back to real work.

Adios amigos.

No comments: