Sunday, February 10, 2008

Goodbye George, Bobby, and Mike

This week I went to the second funeral in  month of a man in his middle years (between 45 and 55) that passed away fighting an illness that despite all best efforts he could not win.  This has made me rather reflective of late.  One of these men was my cousin that although I have known all my life I wish I had known better.  The other is a partner at my law firm who was most well respected in his field.  The loss of  both men has left a hole in the world, and strangely because I neither talked to, worked with, nor saw either of them very often, a hole in my heart.  Not long ago, another friend about the same age also died, again from an illness he could not beat. His loss also left That Motorcycle Man and I reflective and sad.  I believe each of these men came to terms with their fate,  I don't think the living are so fortunate.  At the latest funeral I attended the Rabbi said that each of us is immortal for what we do on this earth and the impact we have on others.  This is so true.  My cousin will be remembered for his sense of humor and his laugh and that he made people smile.  My colleague will be remembered for his honesty to a fault (so says his wife), his exceptional law career,  his tennis playing, and the love he had for his wife and sons.  Our friend will be remembered for his financial advice and the love he had for his beloved pets.  I am sure they will be remembered for much more by the people who were closer to them, but these are the things that I remember.  The Rabbi also led into the eulogy by quoting a question that the angel Michael asks those who come before God,  "What will the living have to say about you?"  I think this is a good question to keep in mind each day.  There are no tomorrows.  Live life today and every day  as if you have to answer angel Michael's question at the end of the day and as if  it is the last day you will be able to enjoy this earth.  While this may be impossible to achieve, striving for it is not.  

Good bye George, Bobby, and Mike.

May the energy you leave behind  give the rest of us strength and may you always be immortal in our memories.

Lectriclady

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful tribute, 'lectric lady.